Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Good Riddance, January!

Sadly, this really is the view out my window.

Really, I don't know why I watch the weather reports in January. According to yesterday's information, it has snowed here almost every day this month and we're predicted to be back into the "deep freeze" this week. Fortunately, this news was tempered with a side story saying we now have 44 more minutes of daylight than we did at the winter solstice and that inspires me to dream a bit about about gardening.

I'm the first to admit that I'm terrible with plants, and in a weird way that's a bit of a spiritual exercise for me. I put seeds and bedding plants into the ground and anything that actually flourishes does so by pure grace. I have no illusions about the value of my contribution; mostly, I just offer my pathetic cooperation and stay out of God's way so He can work.

If you are a fellow inhabitant of the zone 4 or not, now is a great time to think about your garden for spring! If you'd like to dream a bit with me, start by considering the details of starting a Mary Garden, and order a catalog or two. When I was a kid and we moved from the big city to the middle of nowhere, my sisters and I thought all the mutant vegetables (blue potatoes, giant pumpkins, etc.) in the Guerney's catalog were the coolest thing ever!

No comments: