Friday, August 12, 2011

Making it beautiful



A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Its loveliness increases; it will never

Pass into nothingness; but still will keep

(Keats)


I have been occupied lately with an impending move, that has required packing up my beloved scullery.



In the process, I've come across a number of jars carefully saved. The jars themselves are quite lovely. (I haven't decided whether I buy Inglehoffer mustard for the mustard or the jar- I love their little potbelly shape, and they are the sweetest bud vase for a casual table.) Glass jars are so handy and timelessly beautiful for coralling sundries- but I didn't feel the need to annonce for eternity that this jar once contained creamy horseradish.


That's where my good friend contact paper comes in (and this was nothing fancy in the way of contact paper- my husband picked it up at the hardware store). I traced circles as large as the bottom diameter, then cut rectangular strips the same length as the circumference, and smoothed it all together.


Voila- pretty little jars for pennies. My next project will be to re-cover the lids of my spice jars, which are almost all re-purposed condiment jars, since I buy spices in bulk.


Also check out my new bud vase for larger blossoms (originally a bottle of Redemption bourbon). I like its lines.

No comments: